We recommend all our learner, graduates and visitors and/or anyone else, to do your own due diligence prior to making a decision to join a specific registering organisation, or not, as this will be a personal choice and/or preference for each individual. There are many registering bodies such as CIMSPA, NRPT, ICREPS, EREPS and many others, before deciding on which one to join, please contact your employer and/or training centre asking about which one would be more suitable for you.
The Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS), was created in 2002 and in 2020 ceased operating due to been sold to UK Coaching and merging to CIMSPA.
- Important Information: There have been some websites recently claiming to be the revived REPS. We have tried to gain more information about this; however, CIMSPA and UK Coaching have not confirmed the sale of REPS to anyone. These websites don’t seem to provide sufficient information about the purchase of their company or any other details regarding their relationship with Ofqual or UK Coaching. Additionally, they don’t appear to be recognised by any regulatory Awarding Bodies in the UK. Once we have more information about these websites, we will update this page. For now, we recommend all our UK learners to join CIMSPA.
CIMSPA is our choice for independent public register for the Health and Fitness Industry in the UK, recognising the qualifications and expertise of health-enhancing exercise instructors across the four home nations.
UK Coaching, Ofqual and CIMSPA are involved protecting the public from trainers who do not hold appropriate qualifications and insurance, while providing assurance and confidence to the public and employers that all professionals on the register are appropriately qualified with the knowledge, competence and skills to perform their role effectively.
Fitness professionals become eligible to apply for fitness related roles at UK fitness facilities, as well as, opening the doors to many international job opportunities, including, Fitness Instructors, Personal Trainers, Yoga Teachers, Strength and Conditioning, Nutrition Advisor and other fitness qualifications.
Graduates are normally required to maintain their knowledge up-to-date by completing CPD points (CPD – Continuous Professional Development), these can be completed by completing qualification examples:
- Approved Ofqual Level 2 qualifications (16-20 points*)
- Approved Ofqual Level 3 qualifications (20 points*)
- Approved Ofqual Level 4 qualifications (20 points*)
- Approved Ofqual Level 5 qualifications (20 points*)
- Approved Ofqual Level 3 First Aid Courses (4-8 points*)
- Approved (Non-Ofqual) Awarding Body Endorsed qualifications (4-16 points*)
- Approved Workshops, Seminars and other Events (4-6 points*)
- Endorsed Books from Experienced Fitness Professionals (1-4 points*)
- Online Free-Quizzes, REPs Journal Questions and Free-Mini-CPD-Courses (1-4 points*)
*CPD Points tend to change, we have added units that are just for reference, please contact CIMSPA to gain up-to-date information about CPD Points and Courses.
Latest REPS update:
In February 2020 UK Coaching, CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sports and Physical Activity) and REPS (Register of Exercise Professionals) have announced their intention to merge their registering body from REPS and CIMSPA to just CIMSPA. In July 2021, all REPS members members became CIMSPA members, while UK coaching continued managing CIMSPA activities, including membership and completion of CPD points.
Recently many websites have been created mentioning REPS. We recommend all our learners and graduates to contact their Training Provider or Employer before signing up for any register for exercise professionals, just to check for the legitimacy of the website. We recommend all our learner, graduates and visitors and/or anyone else, to do your own due diligence prior to making a decision to join a specific registering organisation, or not, as this will be a personal choice and/or preference for each individual.